Thursday 1 March 2012

Hand Felted Bowl



A Spring Time Hand Felted Bowl

At the IW Spinners,Weavers & Dyers Guild I attended a workshop held by Gillian Chapman
(to find out more about her work pop over to her blog at
http://www.gillianchapmanfelts.info/2012/02/workshops-update.html )

Usually I hand knit and then hand felt my work so this was a really enjoyable learning process as it is a totally different method of felting and although my finished bowl is a little wonky I'm pretty pleased all the same for a first effort!



I made the bowl with merino tops of cheerful spring time colours and for the design I twisted and curled a wool yarn around the 3d shape to represent a growing stem and used little tufts of pink merino to denote flower buds.



The inside of the bowl is made with a lovely Mediterranean blue fibre with pink fibres in the shape of a star.


I had a lovely day making this, it's always good to have a go at something new and now I know the basic technique I look forward to experimenting with different fibres and designs.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful bowl Sue, with wonderful colours - the pink flower details work so well! It was a super day - holding a workshop with friends made it a little bit scary but everyone worked SO hard and did some great work!!! Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super, especially for your first attempt. Well done :-) I'd love to try felting - not plucked up the courage yet!

    ReplyDelete